One of my favorite things to make for a snack when I’m in a hurry are flatbreads. You can throw 2-3 main ingredients together and make something really wonderful.
The combination of pear, red onion, and balsamic reduction makes for a sweet and savory combination that’s out of this world.
- Garlic or traditional Naan bread (you can usually find it in the bakery)
- Pizza sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Italian herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and basil. Better if fresh!
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast, or grated parmesan if you aren’t Vegan/Lactose intolerant.
- 1 Bartlett Pear, more ripe the better.
- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar.
- 1 tbsp brown sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Start the balsamic reduction. Put 1 cup of balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan and cook on medium-low. When it starts to thicken, add 1 tbsp brown sugar and a pinch of salt to the glaze. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Set aside glaze.
- Slice the bear into very thin slices. In the same sauce pan, slightly brown the pear slices in the residual balsamic glaze and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Cook until slightly browned and set aside.
- Get out the naan bread. Put as much pizza sauce on as you would like, leaving the edges dry so it can be like the “crust” of the pizza.
- Add the toppings (pear), herbs, and cheese if you desire. Then drizzle the balsamic glaze on top of the pizza.
- Bake the pizza for 12-14 minutes at 350 F.